SSH/OpenSSH

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 12:47:57 -0700

On Jun 6, 12:33pm, KeithSmith wrote:

> > > You can still get SSH1 for free (gratis).  SSH2 you have to pay for.
> >
> > The current ssh1 isn't free either. They changed the licensing at some
> > ponit, but that was several bug revisions ago. OpenSSH is based on the
> > last free version of ssh1.
> >

> So is OpenSSH still viable?

Yes.

The bugs in the version upon which it was based have been fixed.

In addition, it's recently been enhanced to use the ssh v2 protocol as
well as the older protocols.  The commercial version still has certain
features that OpenSSH doesn't have (like secure ftp).  It's up to you
to decide whether you really need these features or not.

The one thing that sort of bothers me about the whole thing is that it
is so closely tied to the OpenBSD project.  I.e, AFAICT, development
of the core package is only being done on OpenBSD.  It's up to a team
of external porters to make sure it works on other platforms.  I'd
prefer to see an integrated source package with OpenBSD and the other
ports combined.

Kevin