SSH/OpenSSH

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:08:01 -0700

On Jun 6,  9:18am, KeithSmith wrote:

> > What kind of suggestions were you looking for?
> >

> I think I was fishing.  I like the idea of getting
> OpenSSH for free however is it better than SSH
> that one has to pay for?

You can still get SSH1 for free (gratis).  SSH2 you have to pay for.
The company marketing SSH2 has also made it difficult to find SSH1
and the maintainance of SSH1 hasn't been very good.

> Which is better?

I don't know since I only have experience with SSH1.

I think OpenSSH is the way to go though since it is truly free (both
as in beer and as in liberty).  Also, I've read that OpenSSH now
supports protocol 2, so I see few reasons to prefer SSH2 over OpenSSH.

The only reasons that I can think of to prefer SSH2 over OpenSSH is if
you want support that you have to pay for or if you want the secure
ftp facility that comes with SSH2.  OTOH, you should know that scp
(secure copy) has been around for much longer and has always worked
well for me.

You may want to look at http://www.openssh.com/goals.html for more
info.

Kevin