instant messengers and security

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 18:19:19 -0700

It seems like on Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 03:35:02PM -0700, datawolf@ibm.net scribbled:
Orig Msg> Does anyone know if any instant messenger software provides better
Orig Msg> security (or less bad security) than others?
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I've set up my firewall at home now that I have DSL, and want to keep it
Orig Msg> locked down.  I've been using icq (licq), and wonder if I should
Orig Msg> continue to do so.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> -BVG
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>

IMHO for doing things like that, a properly configured
SOCKS proxy comes in handy for protecting internal hosts.

http://www.socks.nec.com/

I use SOCKS mainly for IRC via mIRC for no other reason than the
IP address I return for everything is in the 192.168.0.0/16
range and any attacks get directed to the hybrid firewall/proxy box.

My .02

JLF Sends...