Automtic FTP FTP

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 12:28:50 -0700

It seems like on Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 11:53:45AM -0700, Ryan Denke scribbled:
Orig Msg> I'm looking for a way to set up a cron job run a shell scriptto
Orig Msg> automatically connect to another server, login with username and
Orig Msg> password, and download the same file every day.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I've read the man pages for FTP, but it just doesn't seem that you can
Orig Msg> pass it username, password, and get commands and make it all work.
Orig Msg> Anyone have any idea or suggestions?
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> _______________________________________________

GNU Wget

       Wget is a utility designed for retrieving binary documents
       across the Web, through the use of HTTP (Hyper Text Trans­
       fer Protocol) and FTP (File Transfer Protocol), and saving
       them to disk.  Wget is non-interactive, which means it can
       work  in  the background, while the user is not logged in,
       unlike most of web browsers (thus you may start  the  pro­
       gram  and  log  off,  letting  it  do its work). Analyzing
       server responses, it distinguishes between  correctly  and
       incorrectly  retrieved  documents,  and retries retrieving
       them as many times as necessary, or until a user-specified
       limit  is  reached. REST is used in FTP on hosts that sup­
       port it. Proxy servers  are  supported  to  speed  up  the
       retrieval and lighten network load.

       Wget supports a full-featured recursion mechanism, through
       which you can retrieve large parts of  the  web,  creating
       local  copies  of remote directory hierarchies. Of course,
       maximum level of recursion and  other  parameters  can  be
       specified.  Infinite recursion loops are always avoided by
       hashing the retrieved data. All of  this  works  for  both
       HTTP and FTP.

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/wget/
ftp://gnjilux.cc.fer.hr/pub/unix/util/wget/
ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/wget/

JLF Sends...
Behold, the Internet is the greatest sum of information at mankind's
fingertips since the Library of Alexandria. Despite this vast storehouse
of knowledge at our disposal, there are still those that will send
urban legend and blatantly false information to mailing lists and
newsgroups without making even the slightest effort to check their
legitimacy.  At every occurance this proves to me that every node,wire,
and server I help connect to the Internet to widen its expanse for
the benefit of the masses is a complete waste of time.  ( J. Francois )