[Plug-announce] June Newsletter

Digital Wokan wokan@home.com
Fri, 02 Jun 2000 11:29:06 -0700

I currently maintain 2 full database backed websites professionally, and
though they're iis/asp/ms-sql based (note the lack of desire to waste
the shift key on that), I do have some knowledge of using a
MySQL/Apache/PHP based setup.  In fact, I plan on going ahead and
setting up such a system on my "pure" Linux box for testing ideas.
(I'll just have to be sure it isn't available to the outside world so
@Home can't have a hissy-fit.)
Of course, if PostgreSQL 7 comes out as much closer to the SQL standard
than pre 7.0 versions were, I may use it instead.
MySQL is good and fast, but it has a few performance issues under heavy
use that I'm hoping PLUG would run into out of pure traffic volume.  :)
(I'm referring to the need to lock down a whole table when performing a
write to it.  If that has been fixed, I'm keen to be told about it.)