Help with SSH2 and tunneling X?

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:12:27 -0700

On Jun 1,  4:33am, foodog@uswest.net wrote:

>   I'm on a quest to access machines at my work securely from
> home over a public VDSL connection.  I'm sick of battling
> VTUN* so I've settled on tunneling X through SSH2.  That
> works relatively dandy from my firewall but I'd much rather
> use my main box which is on my home subnet.
[...]

You're making it way too complicated.

Just install ssh on your main box on your home subnet and then ssh
to your machine at work.  Since you have ipmasq working already, it
should work fine.  (I do this all the time without problems.)

There are times when you want to be able to use the display provided
for you from another machine.  To do this, you'll have to use xauth.
See the xauth man page for more details.

You may also wish to look into using VNC which'll allow you to connect
to an X session at work and not have it go away if you get
disconnected.  (I'm not sure what kind of work you do, but I find it
useful for doing builds on remote machines.)

Kevin