trouble getting Linux installed

Peter Martin mazdaracer@earthlink.net
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 20:33:33 -0700

I thought I was a bit more knowledgable, but humble pie again!

The system: AMD 500 K-6 w/128MB, Lan Express lan card (unsupported from
what I can tell, need to get another), SB Live, Modem Blaster PCI, S3
Trio3D AGP w/8MB, dedicated 13GB HDD, floppy, CDROM and a Digiview 17"
monitor.

In trying to load up RH Linux 6.1 that was included in Osborne's "Linux
Administration, A beginner's guide", it seems to go all the way thru
except at the end of the install it says to hit 'RETURN' and it will
re-boot. It doesn't and I hit the reset. The Xconfigurator doesn't see
the AGP card and I can't startx. I am able to use regular mode. I also
tried Storm, and Mandrake 7.1 from the Aug/Sept issue of Maximum Linux.

It also seems that too many file systems are bad too. I.E, of the 13GB,
/ = 512MB; /usr = 4GB; /var = /tmp = 2GB ea, swap = 128MB and /home =
the rest seems to make it but when I tried to also use /boot, /usr1,
/usr2 I got errors on the re-boot.

Mandrake 7.1 seems to be real good, but I couldn't get the monitor
settings setup, even tho the graphical setup looked real good.

I've spent most of this fine sunday messing with it. Also tried to use
RH 5 and upgrade to the 6.1 disc but no go. Storm was worse.

I really liked the Mandrake since it had support for the HP 1000C
printer and also the S3 AGP card, it's just the monitor.

Anything helpful?

Thanks much in advance and hope to meet some of you at the next meeting.