rsh, rlogin, rcp question

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:07:59 -0700

On Jul 28, 12:56am, der.hans wrote:

> What's rcmd? Is it doing the rsh thing?

As I recall (from many years ago), rcmd uses a different protocol than
rsh.  It is not used very much anymore because it is even less secure
than rsh.

As for the Bill Warner's question, I agree with you that there
may be an alternately named command which implements rsh as we know
it in Linux-land.  But I also agree with Mike Cantrell who asserts
that Bill really ought to be using ssh anyway.  It should be easy to
build ssh binaries for the SCO box.

Finally, it may be possible to use SCO's rcmd with a linux box by
going into /etc/inetd.conf and enabling the line which runs
in.rexecd.  On the linux side, it may be possible to run a remote
command on a SCO box through the use of the rexec command.

Kevin