rsh, rlogin, rcp question

Barnett, Blake bbarnett@bloodsystems.org
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 08:22:12 -0700

You can execute one command at a time via rsh, just do a "man rsh" for the
syntax.  Although, I'd suggest implementing ssh now, and writing any new
scripts calling ssh... just a suggestion.

I am in the same boat with our network, we have somewhere around 150-200 SCO
mobile servers, and numerous scripts have been written to allow remote
upload of data, etc.  SCO continually pisses me off with some of its quirks,
and I can't WAIT to get rid of it.  There are many nice things about it, but
as far as elegance, it's equivalent to a ogre ballerina.

*  Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Warner [mailto:wwarner@direct-alliance.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2000 1:27 PM
To: PLUG User group
Subject: rsh, rlogin, rcp question

we use the rsh stuff quite a lot here in our local network.
it is sectioned off from the outside and a cracker could
probably do us a lot of damage if they got in through our
fire wall or were a disgruntled employee or some such
but as for right now we are dependent on them for lots
of scripts and such.

to the question.  We have a mix of SCO, HP-UX, and
Linux here, mostly SCO of which we use rcmd for
remote execution of commands.  This does not exist
in Linux and I was wondering what the equivalent would
be.  basically just execute a command remotely and have the
output displayed local.

any help would be great.

Thanks
Bill Warner