rsh, rlogin, rcp question

Mike Cantrell yomahz@devnull.org
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:32:56 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Kevin Buettner wrote:

> On Jul 27,  1:27pm, Bill Warner wrote:
>
> > we use the rsh stuff quite a lot here in our local network.
> > it is sectioned off from the outside and a cracker could
> > probably do us a lot of damage if they got in through our
> > fire wall or were a disgruntled employee or some such
> > but as for right now we are dependent on them for lots
> > of scripts and such.
> >
> > to the question.  We have a mix of SCO, HP-UX, and
> > Linux here, mostly SCO of which we use rcmd for
> > remote execution of commands.  This does not exist
> > in Linux and I was wondering what the equivalent would
> > be.  basically just execute a command remotely and have the
> > output displayed local.
>
> Is this a trick question?  You obviously know about rsh.  Why
> won't rsh work for you?
>
> Kevin

SCO doesn't have rsh the way we think of it (it uses rcmd instead). rsh in
SCO is a restricted shell (ugh... sucks huh?). That's probably the cause
of the confusion.

The real answer is that you shouldn't be using rcmd's or rsh. You should
go get openssh or secure shell and starting using ssh and scp's instead
(since you're concerned about security).

--

Regards,
Mike Cantrell