to code or not to code?

Nathan Saper natedog@well.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:58:48 -0700 (GMT-0700)

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Jim wrote:

> Python is easier to deal with if you have a fundamental understanding of
> object oriented programming.  It is based on OOP.  Perl, on the other
> hand, is based on the need to extract data and create reports.  I guess
> the same statements can be made about C++ vs C.
>
> The bottom line is that the concepts of objects, inheritance,
> polymorphism, etc. are a bit much for a newbie to deal with unless that
> newbie builds his programming foundation on the OOP concepts.  Absent that
> effort to understand OOP, Perl and/or C are much easier to begin
> programming with.

Of course, you don't HAVE to use OOP to use Python.  In fact, most of the
Python scripts I hack together don't use any of Python's OOP abilities.
OOP is totally optional.  I started programming with C, then went to
Python, then went to C++, then went to Bash, and now I'm trying to learn
Perl.  I'd have to say that I use Python about 95% of the time.  It does
everything, and it's also the easiest to use (save maybe Bash).