lib crazy

Jim farli@wiredglobal.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:51:28 -0700

RPMs and their dependencies can be a pib.  Why dont the distros that use
RPMs set up a special user/group that contains the RPM database.  Then,
when you go to get an RPM, they could check what you already have
installed on your system and at least tell you which dependencies you are
lacking and maybe even give you the chance to d/l them too.

Seems to me that, yes, you create a security hole by letting a site be
able to read your RPM db, but maybe the benefits outweigh the costs.

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, you wrote:

> OK, this is probably a stupid newbie question.  Everytime I install an RPM on on my mandrake 7.1 system I seem to get some lib dependancy error.  that is fine, I download the lib and install it.  However, after the lib installation, I still get a dependancy error.  Do I have to do something with my libs after I install them in order for them to be recognized?  For instance, I installed libgtk+ and the Cheops rpm couldnt find it.  Is there something obvious here I am missing?  Thanks.
>
> - Joel
> "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the
> story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is
> about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock,
> he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for
> centuries."
>
> - Dr. Robert Jastrow
>         Founder of NASA"s Goddard Institute for space studies

Jim

Zope is cool!