to code or not to code?

Michael J. Schweppe michael@schweppe.org
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:28:17 -0700

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:39:45 -0700, "Don Harrop" <don@nis4u.com>
wrote:

>I was wondering if I could get some feedback on some scripting / programming
>languages to jump into for a newbie coder.

I was wondering this myself and ran across this useful piece of
information by Eric S. Raymond:

1. Learn how to program.
This, of course, is the fundamental hacking skill. If you don't know
any computer languages, I recommend starting with Python. It is
cleanly designed, well documented, and relatively kind to beginners.
Despite being a good first language, it is not just a toy; it is very
powerful and flexible and well suited for large projects. A tutorial
is available at the Python web site.

See more at this URL:

	http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

Mike