to code or not to code?

Jim farli@wiredglobal.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:23:00 -0700

Python is easier to deal with if you have a fundamental understanding of
object oriented programming.  It is based on OOP.  Perl, on the other
hand, is based on the need to extract data and create reports.  I guess
the same statements can be made about C++ vs C.

The bottom line is that the concepts of objects, inheritance,
polymorphism, etc. are a bit much for a newbie to deal with unless that
newbie builds his programming foundation on the OOP concepts.  Absent that
effort to understand OOP, Perl and/or C are much easier to begin
programming with.

These, of course, are just my opinions.

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, you
wrote: > Python is probably supported stronger than what you might need it
to be. I'd > recommend Python to start with, especially for a newbie, and
then step up to > the plate w/perl.  >  > ... >