useradd

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:04:06 -0700

It seems like on Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 12:19:01PM -0700, Don Harrop scribbled:
Orig Msg> I've got a ton of users to add on a particular linux box.  I have all the
Orig Msg> usernames and passwords..  I'd like to create an executable file that will
Orig Msg> run useradd and insert everyone into the machine.  I can't figure out how to
Orig Msg> make useradd take unencrypted passwords at the command prompt though.  Any
Orig Msg> ideas?
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Don

man newusers
====================
NAME
       newusers - update and create new users in batch

SYNOPSIS
       newusers [ new_users ]

DESCRIPTION
       newusers  reads a file of user name and cleartext password
       pairs and uses this  information  to  update  a  group  of
       existing  users  or  to create new users.  Each line is in
       the  same  format  as  the  standard  password  file  (see
       passwd(5)) with the following exceptions.

man chpasswd
=====================

NAME
       chpasswd - update password file in batch

SYNOPSIS
       chpasswd

DESCRIPTION
       chpasswd  reads a file of user name and cleartext password
       pairs from standard input and  uses  this  information  to
       update  a  group  of  existing users.  Each line is of the
       format

              user_name:password

       The named user must exist.  The supplied password will  be
       encrypted and the password age updated, if present.

       This  command  is  intended  to  be used in a large system
       environment where many accounts are created  at  a  single
       time.