ssh rpm

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:32:48 -0700

Yes, FreeBSD and OpenBSD (and I assume NetBSD) have a package
manager that does dependency checking.  No, nothing comes close
to apt.

In FreeBSD, there are "official" pre-compiled packages for
each -RELEASE (-RELEASE is basically a snapshot of -STABLE that's
been cut to CDs you can purchase) and -STABLE:

For FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE, the official packages are at

ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.0-release

For FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE, the official packages are at

ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.0-stable

The main package management commands are:

pkg_add
pkg_delete
pkg_info

For example, if you do a pkg_add on a package that depends
on another package that is not installed, pkg_add will
auto-install the other package first.

Also, when you're in the ports tree and you do a "make;
make install", the "make install" command will actually
update the package management database, just as if you
had done "pkg_add foo-1.0.tgz".