ssh rpm

Barnett, Blake bbarnett@bloodsystems.org
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:33:08 -0700

To my surprise, my OpenBSD 2.7 install doesn't even have the /usr/ports
directory.  I installed via FTP off the floppy.  Maybe I'll re-install and
do all my packages this way.  Because as JLF said, it seems many of them are
a few versions back from current.

*  Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: plug@arcticmail.com [mailto:plug@arcticmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2000 9:57 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: ssh rpm

As a general rule, the packages at

ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/2.7/packages/i386/pkgname.tgz

are the result of (in this case) taking the OpenBSD 2.7
CD (gold, final cut, whatever you want to call it),
installing it (with the ports collection for that CD),
then doing a

cd /usr/ports/<packagename>
make
make install
make package

The resulting <packagename>.tgz is then put on the
FTP site for the convenience of those who don't want
to spend the time downloading the source and compiling
it on their own box using the ports method.  This
applies to FreeBSD as well.