OpenBSD for the lazy (was: ssh rpm)

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:00:20 -0700

Hans,

I assert that OpenBSD *IS* for the lazy!

I understand JLF's "subscribe to bugtraq, subscribe to
cracker lists, mirror all cracker websites, actually
LOOK at your logs once a year" methodology.  For a
site with real security needs, this (and more) should
be done.

For me, I use a minimal OpenBSD setup as my firewall,
mainly because I'm too lazy to "do the right thing."
The way I figure, OpenBSD hasn't had a remote root crack
in the default install in two or three years, so if one
ever happens, I suspect that the National Emergency
Broadcast System will notify me via TV/radio. :)

FreeBSD and OpenBSD both have package managers and a
"ports" collection.  The "ports" method really kicks
ass over anything else I've seen for creating packages
from an author's pristine tarball.  For package
management, however, NOTHING comes close to apt.