Remote (as in no connection, portable power) video

Michael Dearman mdearman@inficad.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:50:06 -0700

Hi everyone,

We're taking a look at trying to do a CornCam kinda
thing and I don't know anything about video on a
website. A couple of questions:

(If platform dependent solutions, Linux preferred - of course :-)

1. Is there a way to convert VHS or 8 mm video to an
   appropriate digital format?

2. Any digital video cameras that work well with linux/gnu tools?

3. And what linux/gnu tools to check out for processing video?

4. Any other questions I ought to be asking?

The Problem
This will be at a remote site, so any kind of live feed isn't
really viable.

Requirements
- Need to record 8 or so hours at a time with the least amount
  of storage medium manipulation.
- Hi quality is not necessary.
- A hardy system to handle Arizona weather. The best we can hope for
  is to keep direct sunlight and rain out.
- Power will be supplied by a diesel powered generator with infrequent
  need to switch to batteries.

Plan
To recover the storage medium, transport, process and upload on a daily
basis. At least that's what we'll shoot for.

If necessary, will use a Linux box at the site to aid in storage
and/or preprocessing, and whatever else.

Just started researching this, so please excuse the ignorance.
Any advice, links, rock throwing, or moral support appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike D.