Evil, stinky fonts under Netscape

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:08:44 -0700

On Jul 17,  9:21pm, Mark Berkwitt wrote:

> Strangely, adding that line of code
>
> Netscape*documentFonts.sizeIncrement: 5
> to your .Xdefaults file, log out and log in again.
>
> Worked when I logged on as root, but there was no .Xdefaults file under my
> regular user accounts.  I suspect I've just revealed how little I know;
> could it be that that's why it's called a default file?  Anyway, it makes a
> decent change for the root surfer, but I as user still see those tiny fonts.

You'll need to create a .Xdefaults file for your user account too.

There are several ways in which you can change it for all users on
your system.

One is to copy /usr/doc/netscape-common-4.72/Netscape.ad to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Netscape and then change the line

	*documentFonts.sizeIncrement:	20

	*documentFonts.sizeIncrement:	5

(But note the caveat at the beginning of Netscape.ad before you do this.)

The second way is to add the requisite line to /etc/X11/xinit/Xresources.
Note that you may need to create this file.  Also, the exact name and
location of the file could vary depending on distribution.  Also, all
bets are off if you have your own .xinitrc file.

Kevin