logging -> 2 questions

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:30:07 -0700 (MST)

\_ 1. I have been running minicom to capture all the calls from our
\_ phone system into /dev/ttyS1. Works good, but I have been wondering
\_ if there is another way to do this as a background process and
\_ have the info captured to a file.  I have tried: 'minicom -C file &'
\_ but minicom doesn't flush out to the file consistently. Any ideas?

Flush as in "there's a delay before it tells me" or flush as in "where
did the data go"?

\_ 2. I would like to begin tracking the volume going thru my 'firewall'
\_ by logging all the packets. I used to use the accounting (A, I beleive)
\_ rule in ipfwadm in the older kernel, but with ipchains I am having
\_ a tough time.  I know this should be simple, but could someone
\_ throw  me a bone?

Try the -l or --log line on ipchains

ipchains -A input -s 0/0 -d 63.140.45.143 23:23 -p tcp -l

for instance.

David