duplicate RPMs installed

Barnett, Blake bbarnett@bloodsystems.org
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:09:31 -0700

Well, to further avoid your wrath, I'll keep it short.  It wasn't my
intention to appear "on my high horse".  RPMs have their place, and if you
re-read my earlier post, I did say "convenience", meaning... I USE IT TOO.
Before you start flaming people for stating their opinion maybe you should
read their post carefully.

*  Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Donn Shumway [mailto:donn@linuxfan.com]
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 6:58 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: duplicate RPMs installed

So, when there is a unified package system (similar to Winblows??) you'll
join us people who don't have a clue?

Get off your high horse and face reality. Not all of the people that use
linux, bsd, unix, BeOS, etc., use them simply because they want to get under
the hood. Not everyone is a programmer or a security expert. I use it
because I like the unixlike interface, the fact that it doesn't crash, the
feeling of exploration of something new (to me), and most of all, because I
want a stable platform on which to install an Oracle database (which I DO
know). I also use the RPMs whenever possible because the Mandrake
distribution, like Redhat do some things in a somewhat unique way (check the
location of the html directory in a Mandrake installed version of Apache for
example). Using the RPMs usually ensures that complications that arise from
the distributions quirks are kept to a minimum.

Those that have to put someone down just to feel important have lost touch
with the purpose of this or any user group, that is to share our knowledge
and enjoyment of a common interest. Pardon me for using a tool that someone
spent countless hours coding to make a more usable solution for us all. If
you don't like it, or don't use it, useless opinions don't contribute to the
question at hand. Save the bandwidth.

Please pardon my diatribe.

Donn