SCSI Scanner Setup

Jason Brown vafudar@earthlink.net
Sat, 08 Jul 2000 22:10:14 MST

The scanner should be detected as the scsi card is initialized/probed.  You
can "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" to see what scsi devices are currently detected.
The scanners are usually /dev/sg_  (make sure that modules is installed, if
needed).  In most cases these dev's have root permissions set.  When you
start xscanimage or xsane, it will tell you what devices are present and if
you have linked a dev/sg_ to /dev/scanner (this is not needed).  You may
want to chmod the proper dev to allow users to access the scanner.

I did have problems with Mandrake 7.1 and the Umax 1220S.  This distro uses
sane 1.03, which has not worked, but other distros and Mandrake 7.0 which
use earlier versions of sane work fine.  I am currently using debian
(potato) and sane 1.02.

Jason Brown