Calendar of Phoenix Linux Events -- seen on Linux Today

rleonard rleonard@aprnet.com
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 11:46:18 -0700

It seems to be a misconception that it's required to pay/attend these $5k
classes.  As has been mentioned in this thread, if you have zero experience,
it shows a potential employer that you have "some" level of follow thru to
jump thru the hoops to get certified, and hopefully you've learned something
along the way.

The majority of the "promises" made are by the sales guy's who's job it is
to entice you to sign on the bottom line, if you buy into this, then i have
a few high performance 386's i'll sell ya to run oracle on!

RTFM, build a network at home and plan and configure this network out just
as you would in the real world (probably using far cheaper equipment), get a
dsl connection, host your own dns/mail/www/*network-service from your home.

Be honest with potential employers (doesnt' have to be brutally honest) but
don't over extend your capablities.

If you read the prereq's for most industry certs they recommend atleast 1-2
years EXPERIENCE plus the studying to learn the core/esoteric areas that you
will be tested on.

robert leonard