inet

Barnett, Blake bbarnett@bloodsystems.org
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:24:54 -0700

I agree, but it's a short term solution if you are concerned about security
and don't have time to setup a firewall.  Or don't want to.  Stealth is
always the preferred status rather than just closing ports, but any security
improvement is a good thing.

*  Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Buettner [mailto:kev@primenet.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 5:21 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: inet

On Jul 6,  4:10pm, sinck@owmyeye.ugive.com wrote:

> I know at least one sys admin that froths at the mouth if you say
> NIS/NFS.

Newbies should keep in mind that NIS, NFS, etc. are useful services
and that they can be used safely on an internal network if an adequate
firewall is constructed to prevent outsiders from accessing these
services.

(I think that disabling these services in inetd.conf is the wrong way
to approach the problem.)

Kevin