Debian

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 18:13:13 -0700 (MST)

Am 06. Jul, 2000 schwäzte Shawn T. Rutledge so:

> On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 04:10:51PM -0700, J.L.Francois wrote:
> > If you are somewhat familiar with apt/dselect and have
> > a decent speed Internet connection all you need is
> > ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current
> > copied to a CDROM and use the available tools to create a boot floppy(s).
>
> If you download the ISO image and burn that to a disc, it will be
> bootable, so you don't need a boot disk.  But they discourage people
> from downloading the ISO image just to burn one disc, because it is
> so large and if it fails to FTP, retrying is expensive.  I did it anyway,
> for the slink version; but I don't know if there are ISO images for
> potato yet.

Nope. There was a test image, but it disappeared when I was halfway
through my rsync :(. Debian has a mechanism to get most of the info from a
mirror, then rsync the cd image. It's pretty cool and will kick when I put
in my mirror at home ;-).

I need the ISO as I don't always have a great network connection (
embarassing to admit that in public ;-), but the install setup is usually
enough.

cioa,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  I'm not anti-social, I'm pro-individual. - der.hans