Debian

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 16:10:51 -0700

It seems like on Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 03:31:53PM -0700, Tim Weaver scribbled:
Orig Msg> I am used to installing (what little) Linux I know from CDs.  I don't really
Orig Msg> want to go buy any more, so I was looking to d/l Debian from their FTP site
Orig Msg> and then burn some CDs (at work) then take home to install.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I was looking at FTP.Debian.org and got really confused as to what to
Orig Msg> download for an Intel-based system.  I made it as far as
Orig Msg> ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/
Orig Msg> then got lost as to what I needed/wanted/??  so I am here for some help!! :)
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> SO, the main question is, when looking at FTp downloaded versions, how does
Orig Msg> one tell what to download?
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I looked in the installation manual (online) and it didn't cover what to
Orig Msg> download.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Yes, stupid questions all, but I can't help but think some of you were in my
Orig Msg> shoes at one time!! :)
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Thanks in advance,
Orig Msg> Tim
Orig Msg>

If you are somewhat familiar with apt/dselect and have
a decent speed Internet connection all you need is
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current
copied to a CDROM and use the available tools to create a boot floppy(s).

I make my own CDROMS from these areas.
If I remember I will bring in a couple to give away.

Jean Francois Sends...
President & CEO - MagusNet, Inc., MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
Director Of Managed Services - OpNIX,Inc., www.opnix.com
OpNIX - Simply Better Bandwidth
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular, ICQ:  8137851