disabling services

Jeffrey Pyne jpyne@worldatwork.org
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 12:35:02 -0700

To stop inetd from listening on a particular port, the file you are after is
/etc/inetd.conf.  Go through and comment out each service you don't use, and
then kill -HUP <PID of inetd>.  Use netstat -a to verify that your box is no
longer listening on that port.  FWIW, every line is commented out of my
/etc/inetd.conf, so I don't even run inetd.

Also, since D. Taylor seems to be MIA, I'll go ahead and give his response:

man inetd
man services

:-)

--Jeff