Secure Linux Distro

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:36:27 -0700

Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> > Ok I should have been a little more specific when asking the
Orig Msg> > question so please let me rephrase it:
Orig Msg> >
Orig Msg> > Which distribution offers the best support when it come to
Orig Msg> > keeping packages up to date, when it comes to security?
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> debian unless storm is better :).
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> debian's update off the net mechanism rocks. Also look at the *BSD
Orig Msg> family. Similar mechanisms there.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> If you want to go with debian catch me at PLUG next week and I'll explain
Orig Msg> how what I'm doing works. It's pretty simple and kicks butt.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> ciao,
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> der.hans

I'll second debian.
Storm is debian underneath BTW.

I have a StormLinux box and a custom /etc/apt/sources.list that allowed
for upgrade to KDE2 and Gnome-Helix in about 20 minutes, unattended.

Yes, I will bring my Debian Laptop and demonstrate if anyone cares to see apt in action.
I will share my sources.list as well.

Example upgrade:
apt-get update
apt-get -f install
apt-get dist-upgrade or apt-get upgrade or apt-get dselect-upgrade

Example install:
apt-get update
apt-get install lynx-ssl

example package search:
apt-cache search gnome
apt-cache show gnome-games

No reboots and dependencies are checked and installed for you.

JLF Sends...