New hdd, moved RedHat partition, floppy boot won't.

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:53:10 -0700 (MST)

\_ I tried changing /etc/fstab earlier, but that darned "Read-only file system"
\_ stopped that right away.  Is there a parameter I can use with 'linux
\_ root=/dev/hda2' that will put me into write mode.  When I boot this way I'm
\_ asked for my root password which I give but I don't have root privelages.
\_ If I type '#whoami' I get 'root' but I still can't edit that file??
\_ #vi /etc/fstab allows me to view without it seems changing it.  But wait, I
\_ recall it said to use '!' to override that.  I tried and still got
\_ Read-only...

Try a remount:

mount -n -o remount,rw /

YMMV.