XML question

Shawn T. Rutledge rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 14:11:00 -0700

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 11:47:01AM -0700, Lucas Vogel wrote:
> i am going through an XML tutorial, and it's talking about XML Schemas vs.
> DTD's. Is an XML Schema a MS "feature" or is it a new standard to eventually
> replace the DTD? Not that I'm complaining, because I can see a whole lot of
> usefulness for the schema...

Schema is a generic term; a DTD is a kind of schema, and other(s?) have
been proposed.  I think MS and the W3C are on friendlier terms these days;
maybe their "assimilate and bastardize" days are finally over.  (Nah...)
I think there is an open process to develop an alternative schema format;
MS hasn't shown any inclination to try and leapfrog with their own yet.
But I was reading about WebDAV the other day, and there was mention that
Office 2000 includes this feature - you can save documents to any
DAV-compliant server (apparently including Apache, since theirs was the
first implementation).  And I think either they are already using XML,
or plan to.  I just hope it doesn't look like

<?xml version="1.0">
<office-binary-du-jour>
	;js$&#$567fd456SFSDfgSgf...
</office-binary-du-jour>

I've got Office 2000 at work and .docs still look like binary gook to me,
no XML tags either.  But there is a "web folder" feature in the save
dialog; I suppose it could use a different format for saving there, but
I doubt it.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org