Essay: "Word Processors: Stupid and Inefficient"

jiva@devware.com jiva@devware.com
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 00:42:18 -0700

An interesting article, unfortunately, he'll never win his argument
trying to convince WP users to use emacs and TeX.  That having been
said, I have been having a WONDERFUL time using KLYX and LYX to
compose technical documents of late.  These are WYSIWYM (What you see
is what you mean) word processors, and they are nice a gui clicky
clicky resulting in the ability to output TeX and SGML etc.  In fact,
I introduced one of my coworkers to it, and he *sang it's praise*
today at a meeting where we talked about documentation tools.  So now,
I am contemplating integrating it into a web interface where people
can browse lyx generated docs through the web (similar to this guy's
text) and then click a link to edit the doc.  Then that'll launch klyx
on the remote Linux machine running the web pages, and display klyx
locally on the local X Server running in Windows (this is for all the
telnet-phobes around the office)  I am hoping this will supplant Word
as our technical document preparation engine.

--
Blessed be those who initiate lively discussions with the hopelessly mute,
for they shall be know as Dentists.