routers, gateways, firewalls, dns etc...

Digital Wokan wokan@home.com
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:11:13 -0700

If you're getting a T1, why aren't you getting an entire Class C to go
with it?  You shouldn't even have to bother with IP Masq anymore.
As for what a router can do, we've got a Cisco 2620 and while the
graphical setup is nice, it doesn't appear to be nearly as flexible as
using the Cisco's CLI or Linux's CLI.  The basic 2620 IOS comes with the
Masq'ing ability, and minor firewall capabilities.  For the real deal
(IPSec, VPN, IP-GRE), Cisco wants another $800-$2400 (for what amounts
to the Linux equivalent of a recompiled kernel).  And don't forget the
almost impossible to avoid $300+ RAM upgrade to fit your new IOS image
into (from the basic package).
I really wish Linux VPN and PPTP clients were easier to configure and
also tie into IPMasq (we only have ISDN, but T-1's coming).  That $400
Linux box would have beat the Cisco router into the ground in
price/performance ratio (IMHO, of course).