UCITA passed in virginia

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:07:20 -0500

"Perhaps even more threatening is UCITA's role in establishing a liability
baseline for software publishers. Consumer advocates note with dismay that
the act's provisions free software publishers from any conceivable liability
from defects in their code; however, you must use UCITA's provisions as a
baseline in order to get this protection. Free software licenses such as the
GPL may become meaningless after UCITA, exposing program authors to
litigation. Since free software authors generally aren't wealthy, they will
withdraw their products rather than face protracted litigation. UCITA may
well have been designed from the get-go to eliminate the competitive threat
from free software--a necessary step, since free software is winning in the
marketplace."

-----Original Message-----
From: Lucas Vogel [mailto:lvogel@exponent.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2000 11:27 AM
To: 'plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us'
Subject: RE: UCITA passed in virginia

Considering the swarm of new public companies that stake their livelihood on
open-source software, do you really think that they'd make rules against it?
I don't think that's what this new bill is, otherwise there'd be a lot more
people than Ralph Nader(God bless that man!) protesting its inception into
law.
	What I think the law IS saying is that companies like M$ will have a
tighter grip over people that buy their products, and what they do with
them. That's why it's referred to as a 'shrink-wrap' law.

Lucas Vogel