am I just naive about spam

D. Taylor dtaylor@www.dssolutions.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:33:20 -0700 (MST)

I think there's a little confusion here.

What Victor is talking about is configuring procmail to reply
to the address listed in the "From: " header or the "Reply-To: "
header.  He is correct in saying that doing such a thing is
ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS, because 99.999% of the time these two
headers are bogus.

What Jean is talking about is configuring procmail to send
a "no such user" status to his local MTA (sendmail).  A list
of exit codes can be found here:

http://www.procmail.org/jari/pm-tips-body.html#list_of_exit_codes

By having procmail return exit code 67 to his local MTA, that
fact will be sent back to the remote MTA that's currently
talking to Jean's MTA (the remote MTA is more than likely
a spam relay, and NOT the spammer's real MTA).  The end result
is that the spam won't get to Jean's local disk.