Stopping SPAM was [Re: am I just naive about spam]

Jean Francois jfranc@amex-trs.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:33:37 -0700

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 11:46:53AM -0500, Furmanek, Greg wrote:
Orig_Msg>=20
Orig_Msg> Isn't there a way to send a user unknown reply.
Orig_Msg> I bet some of the spammers look for those=20
Orig_Msg> to eliminate the useless addresses.
Orig_Msg>=20

I am most familiar with sendmail where you can set up a filter
to send and error and the msg back to the MTA without accepting the
message first.=20

For example I use rules like:

spammer@spamdomain.com	"500 You Spammed Kenny...You Bastard!"
192.168.100.		"500 You Spammed Kenny...You Bastard!"

The maps DUL and RBL can also be used in sendmail.cf.
If you are on a dialup and use fetchmail you can still use the
DUL and RBL in procmail scripts.

If there is sufficient interest I will write up a short
example of how I use:

teergrube
procmail
sendmail

to filter SPAM.

I'll throw in some URLs for reference.

It may be a few weeks before it gets posted.

--=20
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series
of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
        -- H.L. Mencken

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs--