am I just naive about spam

Jean Francois jfranc@amex-trs.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 12:33:28 -0700

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 11:39:09AM -0700, Victor Odhner wrote:
Orig_Msg> Nope.  Spammers forge their headers to avoid getting any replies =
at
Orig_Msg> all, since if they gave a valid "From" address they would get bom=
bed
Orig_Msg> by angry recipients.  They don't care how many rejections bounce
Orig_Msg> back to their hijacked originating sites, or to their forwarding
Orig_Msg> sites in Korea or Spain.
Orig_Msg>=20

As long as lazy admins refuse to close open relays it
is proper to bounce all SPAM back to them and have them deal with their
problem.

The biggest problem I have is dealing with admins in foreign countries.
I do not speak Greek, Urdu, Japanese, etc. and those countries are
running woefully outdated mail servers in production environs.

Not accepting the email at all saves my disk space and saves me the
time of having to decipher forged headers to complain.

See: http://www.mail-abuse.net/
     news://news.admin.net-abuse.sightings  <--for updating filters
     http://www.claws-and-paws.com/spam-l/  <-- SPAM-L mailing list FAQ

--=20
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series
of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
        -- H.L. Mencken

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU

--EeQfGwPcQSOJBaQU--