KDE problem

Rick Rosinski rick@rickrosinski.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 00:01:21 -0700

There is one easy fix for this problem.  If you are not worried about losing
any application configuration (address books, colors, fonts, and other custom
stuff), you can just kill the $HOME/.kde directory and restart X.
Or if you really need to keep things the way they are, look at the files in
$HOME/.kde/share/config/  There are many rc (resource) files that you can peek
into here.  You can customize any KDE program from here, including the number
of desktops you can have at any one time (the default is usually four, but I
use eight).   These also store info about general configuration information
about apps, like POP3 mail account configuration for KMail, etc.

The $HOME/.kde/share/apps contains subdirectories for all of the
data stored, like addressbooks, mail, etc.  This is more important than the
configs.

The safest, and surest, bet of killing this problem - without killing your data
- you should back up $HOME/.kde/share/apps somewhere, then delete $HOME/.kde,
then restart X (KDE will recreate the $HOME/.kde directory tree), and then you
can close out of X, and restore the backup of apps to $HOME/.kde/share/apps.
Ultimately, you will have whiped out your configuration, but your data will not
be lost.  You can always reconfigure everything. Hope this helps