am I just naive about spam

Robert Leonard robertbleonard@hotmail.com
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 15:03:36 PST

Arson,

Make the sign of an "L" with your fore-finger and thumb, now place your hand
on your forehead.  Seriously...spammers have cd's full of millions of random
generated email addresses, or they pull addresses from usenet, websites,
listserv's.  They do broadcast mailings.  They don't know how many addresses
are valid, so they put the obligatory "unsubscribe" message on the bottom,
which makes you feel like it's a legit company, and to fulfill the spam
laws. When you try to unsubscribe, they log this, put it to thier "premium"
email list, which they then sell at a higher rate, because you've validated
your email address.

Don't feel too bad, it's a pain in the #$@, there are programs that will
allow you to filter out specific hosts, or to search your email and route
spam to the bit bucket.

"We have you surrounded, put your hands up, and step away from that
unsubscribe button, and no one will get hurt!"