w2k bugs

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 12:08:09 -0700 (MST)

moin, moin,

I really have been trying to not bash non-Open Source OSes, but some
things are just rediculous.

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2436920,00.html?chkpt=zdnnstop

When reading you'll find that there are over 65000 potential issues, but
many of them are wishlist items, e.g. not really bugs. Debian also tracks
wishlist items with it's bugtracking system.

The article says that 28000 of the bugs are 'likely to be "real"
problems.' That's just nuts. Also, it's just the OS, not all of the apps.

Debian appears to currently have 10581 bugs (line count of the full list
of currently open bugs). This includes wish list features. This is for the
full Debian OS, which has somewhere near 4000 packages.

Their bugtracking system is into the 50000s now. So they've solved over
40000 bugs. I don't think this is specific to the current release as you
can also report bugs against the old release as well as the just opened
alpha distribution.

Debian's got about 75 critical bugs, just over 300 grave bugs, about 1150
important bugs, almost 20000 normal bugs and almost 7000 wishlist bugs.

There are almost 2850 listed in the pending fixed category. I don't know
how long they stay there before being dropped.

No clue how to check the other dists.

Again the power of Open Source allows me to get in and try to fix any of
those bugs I wish to :).

ciao,

der.hans
--