devices in /dev

Lucas Vogel lvogel@exponent.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:06:12 -0800

You're absolutely right, Jeff(Jeffrey?). Thanks for the help.

(note to hans: this one is from work)

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Pyne,
Jeffrey
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2000 9:25 AM
To: 'plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us'
Subject: RE: devices in /dev

Lucas,

I BELIEVE that the master device on your secondary IDE controller would be
/dev/hdc and the slave device on your secondary IDE controller would be
/dev/hdd.  Run dmesg to confirm this.  When I boot my machine, I get a
couple lines in the boot messages RE: my CD-ROM and a couple lines RE: my
CD-RW.  One of the lines for each device tells you what /dev/hd? entry is
used for each one.  If you are using the SCSI device driver for your CD-RW,
you'll want to use the SCSI /dev entry instead of /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd.  My
Iomega ZipCD 650 IDE CD-RW (/dev/hdd) is accessed by cdrdao and cdrecord
with /dev/sr0-- again look in dmesg to confirm.