DSL router and system access

Kevin Brown kevin_brown@uswest.net
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:24:49 -0700

That depends on how the router is configured.  I currently have the cisco
external DSL router (675) configured with USWest as my ISP.  It is running in
bridging mode which means that the ROUTER has both an External IP (one that is
visible to the net) and an internal ip (10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0).  It
acts as a DHCP server for all my boxes behind it.  As such it is hooked directly
into the Hub.  With it in this configuration I have to edit the NAT inside the
router to redirect traffic of certain types (tcp or udp) on certain ports to
point to specific IP's and ports on an internal system.  I currently have apache
on one of my systems and have all port 80 tcp requests passed through the router
to it.  In routing mode the DSL router is a passive device and doesn't get an ip
itself.  The IP is given to a Computers NIC.  In either case you will need to
know how your network is layed out and determine the configurations of the
router and the computer it is connected to.