pppd question

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:07:58 -0700

Greg,

Please reread my original message and note where I mention the sudo
utility.  This utility allows you to grant ordinary users root
privileges for certain very constrained operations.  In your case, you
can set it up so that ordinary users may run pppd as root, but you can
restrict the command line options so that either no options are
permitted or a certain subset are permitted.  This is exactly what you
want; you want users to be able to start the pppd daemon, but you
don't want them engaging in mischief which involves running arbitrary
connect scripts in "interesting" ways.

In general, the sudo utility is much preferred over setting the setuid
bits because it gives the adminstrator much more control as well as
logging facilities.

Kevin