Strange printing problem

Rick Rosinski rick@rickrosinski.com
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 18:15:49 -0700

Fiew, that was close, glad we're all back!

I have just about all  of my major tasks accomplishable under Linux now, even
sending postscript faxes.  Now, just have to get over the last hump - Printing.
I have accomplished printing postscript files before (before swiching back and
forth between distros for a while), but for some reason it is eluding me now.

I can send output directly to /dev/lp (which is a sym. link to lp0), but lpr
will not work.  No output exists.  The print jobs just sit there (checked lpq).
So, I started lpc and ran "status".  It says that printing is enabled for both
"lp" and "psjet", but it says that the "lp" and "psjet" are busy or offline.
Couldn't be offline if I could print directly to the printer, could it?

I have read the man pages and howtos, but can't nip this in the bud.

One thing to note.  I have created the lp sym link to the lp0 device while in X
and ran lpc and "restart", then ran "status", but got the same thing.

What could be wrong?

--
Rick Rosinski
http://www.rickrosinski.com