because I am not above asking...

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:56:57 -0700

\_ I would love to know how to take a user list from one computer and move it
\_ to another or more specifically, save the passwd file (obviously, the
\_ passwords themselves would not go with) like it were smb.conf or firewall
\_ scripts so I can reformat a hard drive and start over without recreating all
\_ the users etc.
\_
\_ can I join the users/groups starting with 500 from an 'old' passwd file to a
\_ newly created one?

There was a thread similar to this a while back; seek it on the
archives.

Also, the passwd, group, and shadow files are just that...files.  Move
them around, chop them up, mesh them together, crank up the pasta
machine, and you're in downtown.  Unless, of course, you shoot
yourself in the foot, for which you should have backup feats
available.

Specific tricks on large scales should be automated with a
script/language of your choice.

David
A screw is a nail with threads.