Fw: Western digital drives and Linux?

John W wisdom04@home.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:44:47 -0700

<pluplug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.usg-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us>
> [...]
> >
> > have
> >
> > > not been able to gain access to the drive to say the least. I have
> > > tried everything I can find to include adding my user account to the
> > > cdrom and cdwriter group. I have recompiled the kernel to diable
> > > ide/atapi support
> >
> > and
> >
> > > added scsi emulation.
> >
> > Have you checked out the very helpful CD-Writing HOWTO on LinuxDoc.org?
> > It's at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html.  When I got
>
> my
>
> > IDE Iomega CD-RW, I just read through that and got the drive working just
> > beautifully.
> >
> > > I also have a standard cdrom perhaps this is causing issues I don't
>
> know.
>
> > I also have a regular IDE CD-ROM drive that works the way it did before I
> > added the CD-RW.  Remember that the regular CD-ROM is treated as an IDE
> > device (e.g. /dev/hdc) and the CD-RW is treated like a SCSI device (e.g.
> > /dev/scd0).
> >
> > > I have seen some comments regarding western digital HD's not working in
> > > harmony with Linux?? I have never had problems regarding the HD that I
>
> am
>
> > > aware of.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure one of the hard drives in my Linux box is a Western
>
> Digital.
>
> > It has not caused any problems with my CD-RW (that I am aware of).
> >
> > > This si the output from cdrecord -scanbus;
> > > Cdrecord 1.9 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg
> >
> > Schilling
> >
> > > Linux sg driver version: 2.1.39
> > > Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
> > > scsibus0:
> > >         0,0,0     0) 'SONY    ' 'CD-RW  CRX140E  ' '1.0n' Removable
>
> CD-ROM
>
> > >         0,1,0     1) *
> > >         0,2,0     2) *
> > >         0,3,0     3) *
> > >         0,4,0     4) *
> > >         0,5,0     5) *
> > >         0,6,0     6) *
> > >         0,7,0     7) *
> >
> > Judging from this output, it looks like you are real close to getting
> > this working.  Exactly what problem are you having?  Do you get an error
> > when
>
> you
>
> > try to burn a CD?  Are you not able to mount CD's?  Does smoke pour out
> > of your machine when you try to play a music CD?
> >
> > > I have followed the tutorial available at the Mandrake website and
>
> nothing
>
> > > seems to work. I know a lot of you use Debian would perhaps a switch
>
> help
>
> > in
> >
> > > any way or perhaps an older or newer kernel. I just want this to work!
> >
> > Given your distribution, your kernel should work just fine (assuming
>
> you've
>
> > compiled in all the required options and modules).  I have had my CD-RW
> > working on a 2.0.xx kernel, a few 2.2.xx kernels and currently with a

 It seems the drive is recognized as a standard cdrom under /mnt. I tried to
create mount point /mnt/scd0 and recieved Mount: fs type, bad type, bad
superblock, on /mnt/cdrom,or too many mounted filesystems.
 If I try to use xcdroast it sees the cdrw as /dev/scd0 and it will read the
tracks on an audio disc but if I try to access the cdrw to play an audio CD I
get dumped into konqueror and it does not show the disc in the drive.
Fortunately no smoke however. I rebooted and recieved the same errors in the
boot messages regarding the cdrom drives. I have tried cahnging trhe
permissions perhaps that is why I recieve the mount errors?
 I will definitely read through the cdr howto again perhaps I missed
something there or have made some other errors along the way.
 Lilo conf reads;
image=/boot/vmlinuz-secure
	label=linux
	root=/dev/hda7
	append=" hdb=ide-scsi ide1=autotune ide0=autotune"
	read-only
Thanks for your help guys (gals just in case)!
--
John Wheat