Western digital drives and Linux?

John W wisdom04@home.com
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:46:45 -0700

 Hello all I haven't posted in some time mainly a nebie/lurker.
I have been running Mandrake 7.2 and recently installed a CD-RW drive. I have
not been able to gain access to the drive to say the least. I have tried
everything I can find to include adding my user account to the cdrom and
cdwriter group. I have recompiled the kernel to diable ide/atapi support and
added scsi emulation. I also have a standard cdrom perhaps this is causing
issues I don't know. I have seen some comments regarding western digital HD's
not working in harmony with Linux?? I have never had problems regarding the
HD that I am aware of. This si the output from cdrecord -scanbus;
Cdrecord 1.9 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 2.1.39
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'SONY    ' 'CD-RW  CRX140E  ' '1.0n' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
 I have followed the tutorial available at the Mandrake website and nothing
seems to work. I know a lot of you use Debian would perhaps a switch help in
any way or perhaps an older or newer kernel. I just want this to work!
 Thanks in advance,
--
John Wheat