Version control and issue management solutions?

Alan Dayley adayley@adtron.com
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:48:37 -0700

We are finally getting serious about automated version control and issue
management software for our engineering staff.  We are discussing possible
software choices and I though someone on this list might provide some
insights.

Glossary:
-Version control: check source code or other documents (manuals,
schematics, CAD drawings) in and out of a control library system that
automatically tracks changes to the files.  Build control.
-Issue management: track development projects, accept bug reports from
testing or the field, assign bugs for fixes, report progress.

Operational environment:
Currently we are a mostly M$ shop with a Linux server or two.  All the
workstations are currently M$ Windows of one flavor or another.  We have C
source code for the embedded systems in our products, code for (gag) DOS
and (gag gag) Win32 platforms and we will be creating Liunx based
applicatons (C, C++, TCL/TK, Perl, etc.) and using Linux workstations very
soon.  We will not be abandoning the M$ deveopment for quite some time even
as we move to a more Linux-centric base.  It is a mixed target environment.
 Currently 3 software engineers, 1 digital design engineer and a CAD/PCB
layout technician.  Technical writers and more engineers due to be added
with growth this coming year.

As I hinted in the above, control of documents other than source code would
be very nice but the code is top priority.

What have you found to be a good solution for these needs?
CVS?
A commercial package such as PVCS or some other?
Home grown?
Any thoughts?

Alan