advice wanted on structuring LAN + internet

Michael Sheldon msheldon@desertraven.com
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 08:36:09 -0700

>>If you get a block of eight, the first is your subnet number, and the
last is your broadcast address, leaving six for use.  I wonder why
you only get five to use?<<

If it's really subnetted out, the router will take one.

Michael J. Sheldon
http://www.desertraven.com/
Make a fast friend, adopt a greyhound!

> Usually, static IPs come in a block of 8.  Five are available for use.
I'm not sure how many need to be dedicated to the server, but I'm
> sure one is available for the LAN.

Hmmm...

If you get a block of eight, the first is your subnet number, and the
last is your broadcast address, leaving six for use.  I wonder why
you only get five to use?

> > Second method requires:
> > - two IP addr from ISP ($$$);
> > - You to trust D-Link to write good firewall rules.
>
> These things basically block all incoming requests unless you tell them to
open specific ports.  It's in ROM, so there's nothing to hack
> or bypass.

<rant>
And there has never been a security exploit in any OS, right?  There
has never been a vulnerability in Cicso IOS, either (boaahahaha).  How
do you update a ROM when some cracker finds an exploit to the D-Link
OS and all the script-kiddies come knocking.  Surely D-Link has
thought of this, so what do you do?  Buy new ROMs, or a new router?
Maybe it's flash ROM and you can update it from their website, which
brings me back to vulnerabilities - ever hear of the Chernobyl
(W95.CIH) virus or the Millennium Internet Worm?

No thanks - I'll stay with something I control and I can update.
</rant>

George

[snip]