advice wanted on structuring LAN + internet

David P. Schwartz davids@desertigloo.com
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 13:32:07 -0700

George Toft wrote:

> First method requires:
> - one IP addr;
> - You to maintain firewall;

Usually, static IPs come in a block of 8.  Five are available for use.  I'm not sure how many need to be dedicated to the server, but I'm
sure one is available for the LAN.

> Second method requires:
> - two IP addr from ISP ($$$);
> - You to trust D-Link to write good firewall rules.

These things basically block all incoming requests unless you tell them to open specific ports.  It's in ROM, so there's nothing to hack
or bypass.

> >From a security standpoint, method two is better as the web server will
> be under attack (guaranteed), yet your LAN will have a lower profile,
> hence lower risk to intrusion.

Ahh, good point.

> If you are worried about network performance, replace the LAN hubs with
> a switch.  As far as the Linux web server handling the traffic, I've
> run 5mbps through a 486DX2/66 with no problems.

thanks